Saturday, February 12, 2011

PRUDENT SPENDING - THE WAY TO GO FOR KUALA LUMPUR NOW

Questions are being raised as to why has the pedestrian walkway project within KL city area been increased two fold from the initial RM50 million budgeted for? Questions are also been asked as to why was the ultra modern pedestrian walkway linking KL Convention Center to Impiana Hotel priced at RM10 million?

Let’s ask ourselves, does the ordinary city dweller really need an ultra modern pedestrian walkway that is air conditioned for just that short distance, and who really benefits the walkway? Is it the thousands that thong KL daily, or is it just the few that uses the convention center and Impiana Hotel? Certainly, I do not see myself using the walkway because I hardly patronize the convention center, nor do I ever visit Impiana Hotel.

I now believe that the beneficiaries of the walkway are those who attend conferences at the convention center and makes use of the services of Impiana Hotel. I don’t think the hotel management would like to see thousands of people making use of the walkway merely as a passage of convenience. If my presumption is correct, do you not think constructing a RM10 million ultra modern pedestrian walkway whose purpose is to satisfy only a certain group of people is truly justified? My answer is certainly NO, and I say that it was wasteful spending.

Federal Territory Minister Raja Nong Chik has said that the money is not from the government, and that it was Pasarana and Petronas that had borne the costs. But both Pasarana and Petronas are GLC’s and are the money not the ‘people’s money’? Both are not private companies that are owned by individuals like Ah Chai or Ah Mat, and how on earth can the minister come up with such a statement. This is just like saying that the commission paid to the agent for the purchase of the submarine does not come from the government, but from the manufacturer of the submarine. You can twist and turn your statement and language, but the fact remains that the payment is originated from public fund.

Are profits and commission not factored into the costs? I think, this is how business works; otherwise the Chinaman will not want to do business here.

Personally, I still think there is a lot of wasteful spending by the government that are just created to enrich someone or cronies. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Taking the pedestrian walkway as an example, I am quite sure the profits to the developer is no less than 40% and that amount can built several rural clinics. And there in Sarawak itself, the rural folks are dying to get some decent clinic to service them on a permanent basis……..not the flying doctor type of medical services.

Now, let’s be honest and sincere with ourselves. At a time when the government’s coffer is depleting faster than it can replenish itself, please do some wise thinking by being prudent in our spending. If Raja Nong Chik is thinking of improving KL, I suggest he looks at trying to improve the road conditions, and to sort out the traffic congestion and indiscriminate parking. Just take a drive along Jalan Sentul, Jalan Ipoh, Jalan Tuanku Abd Rahman or Jalan Ampang for instance, and he will know what I mean by saying that the KL city dwellers deserve better roads, better traffic control and ease of parking.

My final bit; spend like hell if you are filthy rich, but be prudent in your spending when your coffer is drying up. And I am told that the government’s coffer is fast drying up.


CRUSADE AGAINST CORRUPTION

1 comment:

komando said...

your money is my money
my money is my money

all your money is mine

my grandpa gave me the right to spend....

the priorities are mine and mine alone...do what I ask of you...do not question...be a good worker & follow the RULE...

My word is ultimate...that is the ORDER....

so that is what we have NOW...

THEY PLAY GODS....huge, big, small, little, tiny....all GODS...

1 MALAYA...