Monday, September 29, 2008

SELAMAT HARI RAYA AIDIL FITRI

Come Wednesday,October 1st, Muslims celebrate the end of the month long fasting month of Ramadan, and greets the new month of Syawal. It is usual that Hari Raya Aidil Fitri in this country is celebrated most by children, and without them, the celebration means little to us.

As a grandfather to three grandchildren (with one more appearing soon), I long to see them the early morning of the first day of syawal, attired in their very best, running to me and kissing my hands. This is the greatest moment of my life, and I suppose that was how my grandmother felt when I did the same to her. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do the same to my grandfather, because he died well before I was born.

As for me, my usual routine the morning of Hari Raya is to visit the grave of my father, and my deceased siblings immediately after aidil fitri prayers at Kajang mosque. I miss them, but Allah s.w.t loves them more.

And to all my readers (regardless of race and religion), I beg forgiveness if I had offended you in my writings. I hope you will continue to support me, and blogging is the only means whereby I can reach out to all, with my writings and thoughts.


CRUSADE AGAINST CORRUPTION

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Dear Sir;
Wishing you a very Happy Eidul Mubarak..
May Allah bless you, always..

Selamat Hari Raya, Maaf Zahir & Bathin.

Salaam
-lynne-

Anonymous said...

Dato,

Selamat Hari Raya, Maaf Zahir dan batin. Sekiranya ada terkasar bahasa saya semasa memberi komen didalam blog ini harap dimaafkan jua. Maanusia sememangnya tidak lekang dari melakukan kesilapan.
Semoga ruangan blog ini dipanjangkan dan tidak disekat dengan secara tidak adil demi mengagongkan Artikel 10 Perlembagaan Malaysia.

Salaam
Walimuar

lyneham said...

Dear Dato' and fellow commentators,

I would like to take the opportunity on this auspicious day of festivities and joy to wish Dato' and everyone Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Fitri. In conjunction with Eidul Mubarak, I seek forgiveness from Dato' and everyone should my views or writings caused hurt or displeasure as this has never been my sincere intent.

On this season too I remind myself of the actual meaning of this ritual. Fasting is about sacrificing one's power of choice for something one believes in. We have the choice of eating and indulging in worldly pleasures however, it is our believe in Islam and the one God with Muhammad SAW as His prophet that we are willing to restict that power of choice for 30 days. It is our acknowledgement of a higher power, one that supercedes our mere powers that we obey religiously to His Command. This is the time where we humble and remind ourselves that adversity and depreviation ignites determination and perseverence.

In this modern world where most everyone seeks power and the ability to create options and choices, it is apt that such endeavour is restricted. In a way,laws and regulations provide some degree of control over this but nothing beats self regulation through the acknowledgement of a higher power and to subourdinate ourselves to the wellbeing of the bigger entity. It is appropriate to cite Lord Acton's views that "power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutly" and Gen George S Patton Jr's warning "that all glory is fleeting". Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Fitri, maaf zahir dan batin. With Regards.