Saturday, August 30, 2008

SLAM THE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION

I wish to congratulate the Auditor General, Tan Sri Ambrin Buang for another startling revelation of improprieties in the management of government funds by ministries and its associated departments.

It startled me to read that the Ministry of Education is once again mentioned for its poor handling in the purchase of some IT equipments for schools, which the report say is missing, Immediately upon this revelation, the Ministry of Education has reported that the equipments are not lost, but are currently being installed in schools.

I am quite sure Tan Sri Ambrin Buang has been thorough and correct in his reporting. He would not have made the report if it wasn't true. I suspect, the people involved in the purchase of the equipments may have something to hide, and when the truth is revealed, they are left with no other option but to declare that the equipments are available. I am just wondering what the Honorable Minister of Education has to say about this, for he has been mute regarding this issue.

Millions of ringgit of public funds have been lost due to poor financial management by ministries and departments. But there is absolute indifference as to who should take responsibility over these losses. Of course, no minister should be made responsible, and that leaves the poor government servant to shoulder the blame. In most instances, such matters are kept under wraps, without any action being taken. Is this what we called public accountability, where the people in-charge is not accountable for anything at all. Please do not blame me, if I say that the public servants are partly to blame for the ills within their ministries and departments, and some are known to work in cohort with their bosses.

I am told by one public servant sometime ago, that the Malaysian public service is one of the best and the most efficient in the region, if not the world. But I keep doubting myself of what my friend have said, every time I read the Auditor General report.

No comments: